Technorati search

Monday, February 13, 2006

A Farewell to Kings

OK, so I was child of the 70's. True, I was born in '63, but my formative years (and most importantly, my high school years) were in the mid and late 70's. A time which I would give almost anything to go back to.

I was a geek in high school. My biggest social event came in 1979 when I was Parlementarian for the Student Gov't Convention. You wanna know how I rose to such heights? I was the only student in the entire population of Brookville High School who would admit to not only owning his own copy of Robert's Rules of Order, but also to actually having read the book. Yeah....like I said...I was a geek. I was also a Band geek....I was (am) an avid music fan. Kelly Shoemaker, our band direactor and musical whiz would introduce us kids to Dorsey, Miller, Mozart, Copeland, etc...and in my case...RUSH.

Still, there was much to be had in that time...... and I don't mind saying that I revisit it on many occasions. And on one such an occasion, I found the lyrics to a song that really describes todays government. It was kinda scary the first time I recalled this song......

When they turn the pages of history
When these days have passed long ago
Will they read of us with sadness
For the seeds that we let grow
We turned our gaze
From the castles in the distance
Eyes cast down
On the path of least resistance

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise

The hypocrites are slandering
The sacred halls of truth
Ancient nobles showering
Their bitterness on youth
Can’t we find
The minds that made us strong
Can’t we learn
To feel what’s right and wrong

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Can’t we raise our eyes
And make a start
Can’t we find the minds
To lead us closer to the heart

So..what do you think? OK I know RUSH rocks...so I don't need comments like that. I mean really...is this a commentary on our time or what?


I think it is...and I am wishing for the simple days of Jimmy Carter* and the mid and late 70's.

Peace and Light

Jeff


*- The Brookville Band travelled to Roanoke Ciy in 1979 to play for President Carter at the Roanoke Civic Center....great times . Rob Viohl and Tommy Gilliam were kickin Drum Majors, Jeff Milles was a great Section leader and Mr Kelly Shoemaker...always an inspiring leader.... You rock Shoe! Then and Now!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home