Technorati search

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Christmas Tree vs. Holiday Tree: Points of Separation

The debate continues on what we should call the tree. You know the one you decorate with lights ornaments and put presents underneath. Some say, like Rev. Jerry Falwell and supporters, that this is a big issue. And I suppose to some in opposite camps it appears to be a big issue also.

To me to vulcanize opinions over this issue, is the real problem. How many ways can we make issues over what separates us? America is composed of many religions, and is also composed of many individuals. Each person is defined by his own thoughts and beliefs. We, as a country, have aspired as one of acceptance, of all regardless of religious affiliation or race. This in the long run has been the reason why our country succeeds. The creed of our country teaches tolerance of others, both in ideas, and religious beliefs.

Traditionally, Christmas is a holiday in our country. And it is a rich holiday with a theme. Most of our holidays in the United States are theme based. Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance. Mother's Day is a day of appreciation. Veterans Day is a day we give thanks to those that have served our country.

The theme of Christmas is one of joy and giving. And the greatest gift that any of us can achieve is to give without expecting a return. There is true joy in giving it makes you feel good.

To argue about what a tree is called seems to me to a trivial issue. There are larger problems that we should be putting our efforts. Aids now affects 30 million people, families are still separated by hurricane Katrinia, drugs are decimating the very nature of people, crime affects each and everyone of us, and the list goes on.

Is the argument of what the Christmas tree is called that important? For Christians it can be a celebration of the birth of Jesus, for others it can be a time of joy. And if I had one gift that I could offer to all sides would be the gift of tolerance. Lets find what brings us together, not what separates us.

Does it matter what the tree is called? What is important as I see things is how we all get along.

And I want to leave you with one thought of a comment made to WSLS in Roanoke:


"I am a Roanoke citizen and I feel that this argument is stupid. It does not matter if a tree is called a Christmas Tree or a Holiday Tree. I was always taught that Christmas is a time of sharing Joy and Peace. This argument is not expressing the Joy and Peace of the season. Our country was founded on religious freedom. We welcome all religions however I don't see individuals from those religions raise a fuss over something that is small compare to other issues that our country faces."
Greg T.

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger D L Ennis said...

The point is that this is such a petty issue…it is people like Falwell that turn so many people off to Christianity!

D L

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Thank you for your comments. And it is good to read the counter points to what I have written. Personally I have no quams either way to how the tree is represented. If some care to call it a Christmas tree that is fine with me as is holiday tree.

I guess I will always call it a Christmas tree, because that is what I have always know it as. If someone wants to call it a holiday tree I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that both sides are getting ugly about this. It kind of takes the spirit out of what Christmas is supposed to be about in my mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home