Technorati search

Monday, October 03, 2005

Givens vs internet Used Book Sales

I love books. I pick them up at the local library where they are selling them, yardsales and friends' houses. When I am looking for a specific book (I have been reading The Wheel of Time Series), I have gone to Ebay to look for titles I need. I have also stopped by Givens on Lakeside Drive to see if they have a used book I am looking for.

I have a special place in my heart for Givens. I can remember going with my mom and grandma to their small yellow store in Boonsboro from the time I was 10. Mom and Grandma would load up on the Harlequin (by the box load) and I was the gothic romance/horror type. That was one of my favorite outings, an afternoon spent browsing through the used books section. And it was very affordable! And best of all, when I was done reading, I could take my books, turn them in, and get credit for them to buy new books with! What a deal!

I still enjoy going to Givens/Little Dickens. I buy homeschool materials there, enjoy a cup of coffee and just soak up the atmosphere that only a bookstore has. However, as a busy mom who lives about 30 minutes from Lynchburg and is on a limited income, I often find myself going the less expensive route...online used books. My favorite option is Ebay. 9 times out of 10, I can find exactly what I am looking for there. As I have mentioned before, I also sell used books on Ebay myself under the name YesterdaysHopes.

Today I read an article on the increase in used book sales on the internet. It is a growing business(up by 11% last year), but still only accounts for about 2 to 3 percent of all book sales. Most people still prefer to purchase new books. In fact, used books may actually boost the sales for new books because people purchase a used book, then fall in love with the author and start collecting more of his books, new!

However, when I buy online, I am often conflicted. I want to support my local businesses. I would hate to see any bookstore (or other store) close because of lost sales to the internet. When local stores close, this costs local jobs which means less money flowing into our local economy which affects us all. But with rising gas prices, and the ease of online shopping, I will probably continue to rely on online purchasing. However, I am delighted to announce that I can do so and still support Givens. In browsing today, I found their online used books listing. This is the best of both worlds! I can order online and still support a local institution that has survived and thrived in spite of chain bookstores, Ebay auctions and online used book sales! Way to go, Givens! And thank you!

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Givens Book store. I also buy through Half.com, which is Ebay.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info.

Being the ultimate cheap skate, I use my libary card alot. And while I am at the library I look at the books they are removing from circulation. Usually you can get paper backs for 10 cents and hard backs for 25 cents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home