Technorati search

Friday, September 30, 2005

Florida Tourists Warned That Locals Could Shoot Them

Wow! What an eye grabbing headline and the story was a bit disturbing as well. I grew up with rifles and shotguns in my house as my father is an avid hunter. I have always been more on the National Rifle Association's side than not (though not sure why hunters would need semi-automatic weapons).

But this story seems like a recipe for disaster. Seems to me, once the times you can use a gun against another person legally are broadened, you are looking for trouble. While I agree that people should have the right to protect themselves, this law to me seems to open itself up to a lot of subjective interpretation. I mean...to make a ridiculous argument, say I have a really bad cold and start coughing in public, someone could feel I am a serious threat to them and shoot me. Now I know that is extreme...but I would expect extreme arguments to follow this type of law.

My father always told me that the problem with gun laws was that guns don't kill people, people kill people. (I do admit that guns can make killing a lot easier even without this legislation in Florida). I don't believe banning guns is an answer, I have always thought that was short-sighted...after all, how many criminals are going to be turning in their weapons? But I am concerned, that in a society that promotes the rights of the individual and where so many people seem to go off half-cocked, that this type of legislation could be like placing a match to a powder keg.

I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this matter.