Technorati search

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Drawing gets freshman expelled

The Chicago Tribune is reporting that a student at McHenry (Ill.) Community High School has been disciplined after "doodling" in his own notebook. His drawing features the initials "D.L.K." which, school officials told his mother, "could" mean "Disciples Latin King" -- the Latin Kings and the Latin Disciples are two rival gangs.

His mother says he's not a member of any gang. But under the school's zero tolerance rules about gang activity, the boy was suspended, and the school board voted unanimously to expel
Derek Leon Kelly from any state-funded school for the rest of the school year, rejecting his explanation that the initials he drew are simply his own.


Well, golly, that sure makes sense to me.....NOT.

Click on the Tribune link above for more info.

1 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Andi said...

I wonder if they considered how stupid this could make them look when they were voting.

I used to doodle crowns all the time when I was growing up & I had never even heard of a Latin King (I guess that if my school had such a policy, I could have been expelled since I lived near, and at times in, their territory). I don't know how I would have explained such an accusation against me as I didn't even know about the gangs until I got much older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home