Technorati search

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Roanoke Nazis Mix It Up in Ohio


I'm watching the news today when word comes that a Nazi march in Toledo, Ohio has sparked a large riot among anti-Nazis. Aside from the obvious "man bites dog" aspect of the story, it was interesting that the Nazis were well behaved while the anti-protesters were not.
I was almost getting ready to turn the channel back to Sci-Fi (today is zombie and undead movie day!) when the reporter mentioned that the Nazis were from Roanoke. Roanoke? Yes, Roanoke, Virginia. Turns out that Roanoke is a hub of Neo-Nazi activity in the country. Who knew?
Bill White seems to be quite famous, although I had never heard of him until today. The Southern Poverty Law Center ranks his site as one of the top two popular racist sites on the internet today. The story is that the Toledo neighborhood was racked with gang violence so the Nazis showed up to demonstrate. Now there's a recipe for a riot if I ever heard of one.
As bad guys go, I always liked the Nazis. They were well-dressed and had European accents. I guess when I was growing up all the bad guys in television and movies were nazis, so that is what I am used to. The bad guys of today mostly wear red headbands and a lot of flowing robes. Somehow they just don't seem as scary as the Nazis.
My heart and prayers go out to the folks in Ohio. Free speech means letting people say the most ugly things, and that is why it is such a precious right. I disagree with the Nazi movement with all of my soul, but I would fight to the death for their right to speak freely. Let's hope that nobody got hurt and that things return to normal there. Maybe next time they could have some group like the Association of Circus Clowns do a march. Or the Nice Grandma Assocation.

photo credit: Picture found on A Tic in the Mind's Eye.

4 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article. Bill White is certainly deranged. I have been to his site and know of some of the things people are suing him for. Pretty soon, I hope he doesn't have enough money in his pocket to rub two nickles together.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Daniel Markham said...

Thanks Peter. I never even knew the guy existed. Wow. At the end of the Wikipedia article it says he bought 1/4 acre in downtown Roanoke and wants to build a statue of Thor on it? He's definitely out there.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that we all should be allowed to voice our opinions it just a shame that some feel the need to do so in such a negative, hateful and hurtful way.

G B

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...this stature of Thor...is it going to be the Mighty Viking god or the little Roswell-style grey that is the Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet?
Personally, I think I would like a statue of Supreme Cmdr Thor.
Oh, and are they actually statues or are they figurines? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home