Technorati search

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Holy Molly The Infidels are Coming To Lynchburg


Imagine my surprise when I drove up to a small local shop in Lynchburg, looked to my left and saw this truck. If nothing else it is going to make you take a second look.

I went into the store, to buy my goods there were a total of three people there. I had a good idea who the infidel guy was. So I cautiously said to the clerk. "Well that is an interesting sign on the side of that truck out there."

There was a pregnant pause. I watched the clerk just shuffle his feet. Then the other guy spoke up. "Yes that is my truck." But then, he qualified, "I am just driving it, but I am an unbeliever. "

One of my favorite cartoonist is Gary Larsen, he has one that depicts a deer drawing a bulls eye on a cow. Well that is how I remember the cartoon anyway. Having that on the side of your truck in Lynchburg would be quite the equivalent.

Then it got me thinking, so what does the word infidel mean. Not that I didn't already know, but where did the word come from and how it was used. Oddly, I found out the word means different things to different people. Muslims call Christians infidels, and Christians have called Bantu tribesmen infidels. Jews have called gentiles infidels. So basically it is a word that one sect calls others, that do not follow their beliefs.

Yet few people have just come out and said, "I am the person your religion has warned you about, I am the infidel." And perhaps with good reason, seems like many infidels had an abnormally short life spans. Then I started thinking about the word unbeliever, but I filed that away, I have other more pressing thoughts to consider, believe you me.

If you are interested in the Infidel guy website here is the link.
But if you found yourself more interested in the origin of words, like me, look here.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I checked out Infidel guys website. I am all for open discussion. No doubt we can all learn from one another and my browsing there seems to indicate that learning and sharing and good discussion is their goal!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Thanks for the comment Angela. I did look at his site, and I agree. If I were to look at the moral of the post. It would be say like someone else did, don't be to quick to judge or you yourself may be judged.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home