Technorati search

Monday, August 08, 2005

Andre Djuane Davis gets 30 Months in Jail

To see an article on gangs scroll down to the next post

This news release just in from the Lynchburg's prosecutor's office:

On July 27, 2005, Judge Kenneth Farrar of the Lynchburg Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court sentenced Andre Djuane Davis to a total of 30 months in jail. Davis received this sentence after being convicted of two counts of brandishing a firearm, one count of assault and battery, and one count of assault and battery against a family member.

The convictions stem from an incident that occurred at Blackwater Creek Park on July 19, 2004. On that date, Andre Djuane Davis and three other young men arrived at the park carrying handguns. Davis stormed down the hill toward his estranged wife and infant son. Upon reaching the bottom of the hill, Davis pointed his gun into the chest of a bystander and demanded that his son be handed over to him. The bystander obeyed.

The infant’s mother began to pursue Davis in order to retrieve her son. Davis handed off the child to one of his friends. He then threw his wife to the ground and continued to flee. The mother got up and again tried to get her son back. At this time, Davis put his pistol to her head and said, “You don’t think I will kill you, bitch?” He then pulled the trigger on the gun. Fortunately, the gun did not fire, and the young lady was able to get away. However, she was unable to retrieve her son at that time.

The Lynchburg Police Department immediately responded to the incident and charged Davis with two counts of brandishing a firearm, one count of assault and battery, and one count of assault and battery of a family member.

Over the course of the case, Davis, who was also A.W.O.L. from the U.S. Marine Corps, failed to appear for at least three separate court dates. While at large, Davis picked up additional charges of carrying a concealed weapon, driving under the influence of alcohol, and driving on a suspended license. In addition, witnesses for the Commonwealth were threatened and physically assaulted.

Nonetheless, all witnesses testified at Davis’ trial on June 13, 2005, and Davis was convicted of all charges. Davis was arrested on June 26, 2005, and held without bond until his sentencing on July 27. At that time, Judge Farrar sentenced Davis to twelve months incarceration for holding a gun to his wife’s head. He was sentenced to one hundred eighty days on each of the three other charges.

Throughout the year-long court process, Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Jennifer Bennett remained vigilant in her pursuit of this case. Ms. Bennett’s work on this case is indicative of the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office’s commitment to fighting gun crime and domestic violence in our city.


Post a Comment

<< Home