Technorati search

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Google: Define This


I have to admit that I like using Google. Sometimes I stray away. There are other search engines out there and some I use for specialized searches.

But sometimes, I am just in awe of what Google has done. In a previous article I had pointed you to some of the special features that Google offers in the search box.

Well one of those features I have been playing with: The define function of Google.

Type define and follow it with a space and then the word or phrase you are interested in, and then click web definitions. Now, what you get are not static dictionary definitions. You get a more fluid idea of the word or phrase, with the latest uses and in the context in which it was used. Much like a dictionary on the fly.

Ok lets look at the last web result of "on the fly" :

In relation to computer technology, on the fly describes activities that develop or occur dynamically rather than as the result of something that is statically predefined. (Then they give the web reference for the use, in this case it was Wikipedia).

Now I want to encourage you to have fun and try some words or phrases on your own. Here are some of the results for some of mine.

Redneck (yep I am one): In modern usage, redneck predominantly refers to a particular stereotype of whites from the Southern United States. The word can be used either as a pejorative or as a matter of pride, depending on context. See also Hillbilly

Preppies (my membership here was denied): This style of dressing first emerged in the financially prosperous 1950s, when students went for the Ivy League look. According to Yesterdayland.com, "Madras plaid dress shirts with button-down collars, v-neck sweaters and slimmed-legged chino pants marked the college boy, while slim sweater sets, pleated skirts and saddle shoes all but guaranteed a good girl entrance to the university." Three decades later, the Ivy League look became the preppy look.

Mixed bag (Reason for my membership denial): assortment: a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; "a great assortment of cars was on display"; "he had a variety of disorders"; "a veritable smorgasbord of religions"

Opposite of competition : No definitions were found for the opposite of competition. (My suggestion would be cooperation).

Have fun defining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home