Technorati search

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lynchburg City Council: Have You Considered eBay?



Yesterday, Lynchburg City Council met and considered removing the passenger car that is behind this engine on display at Riverside park.

The car is corroded beyond repair, according to a report found on WSET. The cost of removal is reported to be estimated at 18,000 dollars and the Parks and Recreation Department plans to apply for a Federal Grant for the removal.

When I read this my first thought was eBay. Odder things have been sold there, and could this be something that could be income for Lynchburg rather than cost?

Of course, this may be a totally off the wall idea.



Maybe like selling your foreheads for advertising space, which is being done by some Lynchburg Liberty University Students. (Bidding is up to 50 dollars now)

But nothing ventured is nothing gained, and they could use any profit they make for a worthwhile cause, for instance the Lynchburg Food Bank.

Well, never mind, if the grant money is there why not soak the Federal Government, and let the tax payers bear that small burden.

5 Comments:

At 7:41 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I don't know who decided that it was not fixable, but I have seen some fellows in Bedford take old autos that have been in fields for 30-40 years, clean them up, sand them down, apply special types of putty and turn them into beautiful hot rods. Sure this train car has been left to deteriorate, but it is far from fixable. Heh, let my friends from Bedford get ahold of it and N&S will be wanting it back to put in service. Of course, maybe if the city had had the forethought to put the train under a covered pavilion, it might have helped this situation a wee bit.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger B O B said...

I agree with you entirely Jeff. If they do get some contractor to remove the rail car, I doubt that it will be headed for the scrap metal heap. They are going to offer it for sale.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger B O B said...

I did have a picture of the rail car. Trouble was I took it when it was getting dark. I have since deleted the picture. I may just head out there and take another picture.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I doubt they would be interested Melissa, these guys do this hot rodding stuff as a side hobby...

And no..they have shop space they rent on Orange St in Bedford city

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Ken Martin said...

I remember when the train was first put in Riverside Park. Each weekend crowds of people would tour the exihibit. Of course that was during the time the City closed the swimming pools in both Parks.

I understand the train has been spruced up several times. I would be curious as to the cost and labor involved each of those times.

I suspect if they could get a grant to haul it away, "they" could get a grant to fix it up and take better care of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home