Technorati search

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Mumps Outbreak

We recently had a rather lively discussion on the local homeschool group I belong to regarding the pros and cons of vaccinations. Being a thoroughly vaccinated family, I was surprised at how many people that I hang out with had not gone that route.

Now there is the Mumps outbreak in Iowa. 66% of these cases had received two does of the mumps vaccine. 14% had received one dose. They are not sure how the epidemic got started, though they believe it may have been transmitted here from England via a college student. Nor do they know why the vaccinations are working as it is a common strain of mumps.

My father had mumps when he was 16 years old and almost died from it and was left with life long problems because of it. I had mumps when I was two months old (don't remember it though) and as a youngster I had two strains of measles and chicken pox as well (I remember being in my room with the blanket over the windows to keep out the sun for one of these illnesses). I had them all before I was 5. I still believe vaccines are a good thing, though I am willing to hear other thoughts on the matter.

So please chime in with your thoughts, research and experiences.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger B O B said...

There are several vaccinations that I have decided not to get one was the hepatitis vaccination, which is pretty well assured safe now. At the time it was made from human blood and they didn't really understand AIDS. Since the vaccine was made from people who had hepatitis, and many who had hepatitis had AIDS, I just didn't want to take the risk.

I grew up in the generation of the Salk vaccine. First trys with this lead to fatalities of young children. Nevertheless, Polio was so bad that even after the deaths in the first trials. America trusted him to try again.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Henry Cate said...

Our daughters have gotten all the normal vaccinations, but at a much slower rate. They didn't get any until they were six months old, and then we only let the doctor give them one shot at a time. One doctor really fought my wife on this, and we moved on to another doctor. I think in general vaccinations are good things. But we see little value in dumping all kinds on a baby that is still developing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home