Technorati search

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Region 2000 Expo 2005 and Employment Opportunities

Okay, this isn't breaking news. I attended the Region 2000 Expo on October 20th. This was a big deal for me. I don't often go out and spend time with other adults learning anymore, most of my time is spent teaching my children. I was there to network on behalf of my husband and our business. And I was there to find out what I could about marketing, setting up our own booths at future expos, and how to better publicize the MAT.

The talks of the day were going to center around manufacturing and in my ignorance (I was thinking isn't manufacturing dead?) I was not really looking forward to that part. Well, I certainly learned a lot about how wrong I was. When I used to think of manufacturing, I thought of cars, textiles, things like that. Well, the big manufacturers now make chemicals, industrial machinery and electronics.

Manufacturing provides 22% of the jobs in our economy. This is the largest percent of any sector. Finance/banking and insurance combine to make another 22%. However, manufacturer's are dealing with people's misconceptions and it is hurting them. The manufacturing employees are retiring, but young people aren't heading into this field. This combined with rising costs for regulations and health care, plus the high costs of natural gas in our country and a larger international playing field is giving manufacturing a run for its money.

Interestingly, only 18% of people work in manufacturing, but 70% of all innovation comes from manufacturing. Now you are wondering 'What does this have to do with me?' Well, I want you to know that manufacturers are looking for employees. Engineers and machinists are very desirable. Also, jobs in manufacturing pay an average of 10,000 more a year than other jobs. So this is definitely an area to look at if you are thinking of a job change.

Here are some places you can go to learn more about manufacturing and job needs:

Areva (used to be Framatone, used to be McDermott, used to be Babcock and Wilcox...and I may have missed a name in there somewhere).

National Association of Manufacturers

DreamItDoIt this is a program set up by NAM, trying to reach out to youngsters and pull them into manufacturing.

Region 2000 Career Center

So what are you waiting for...opportunity is knocking! Hurry up and answer the door!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home