Technorati search

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Pictures that Time Forgot


What happens when a collector of old camera's starts to develop film? Well, you will find pictures that no one has seen before, from our past.

Here is a picture of Abe Lincoln, and part of what the finder of the camera had to say about this picture:

" ...I assume that the toothless woman on the left is Lincoln's mother. The woman behind the boy is too young to be Mrs. L. I'll bet she's the 1860's version of Monica Lewinsky. The woman at the rear of the photo is trying to catch up to the President to give him some flowers I think.I have no doubts that this is the genuine article. You can tell me..."

I have found these pictures quite amazing to look at, you can look too, here.

Full credit for finding this picture goes to Henri Cartier Bresson.

8 Comments:

At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, this is absolutely fascinating!

G B

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger B O B said...

You never know what that old camera might have in it. Thanks GB

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing this site.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger B O B said...

Thanks Sernena,
Imagine that old camera that you have bought at the flea market could have film, that may have historical importance.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob I am spamming you! Not

Here is a read I think you will find interesting. I would have shot you an email but I don't have yours. It is on a series about the Women of Juárez.

http://nvfc.us/blog/?p=43

Feel free to delete this.

Happy Hallowen,

Steve

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Hi Steve, I read your post, what a terrible situation. I hope many read your post, and will try to direct people there.

Thanks bob

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Daniel Markham said...

Bob!

This is a fake picture. If you read the linked page, the final paragraph points out that neither the camera nor film existed to take this picture in the 1860s.

I was immediately suspicious when I noticed it was a picture of Lincoln walking. Back then, shutter speeds were extremely slow, and people had to sit perfectly still during the picture-taking process. An action shot like this would have been impossible.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Thanks Dan, you just can't trust the internet now a days. I agree with you this appears to be a fake picture, I have seen some pictures at the time that did cover moving subjects, but they were by some of the best photographers.

One photographer at the time was Edward S Curtis, well thinking about it he was in the early 1900's though. Dan I think you are right the Lincoln Pic is a fake.

Thanks Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home