Technorati search

Friday, April 14, 2006

University of Georgia Ninja Detained: More Questions than Answers

The photo you see here is from Red and Black.com an independent student newspaper from Georgia University. It is said to be taken by a cell phone camera and depicts an AFT agent pinning a University Student down.

Previously, I had written a short post how a student dressed as a Ninja was detained by the AFT. A person who commented on the post showed a link to this picture.

If you look carefully at the picture something appears screwy. Look at the legs of the AFT agent the one that is extended toward you appears distorted. Almost like a bad attempt at a photo-shopped picture.

Now, there are other clues that this may not appear as it seems. If you look at the people that are standing around at the scene everyone appears nonchanlant. If you were seeing an AFT agent pin down a suspect with what looks like the full weight of his body on the student's neck, would you not be paying close attention?

I have looked at this picture under higher magnification, and it appears to show signs of being photo-shopped, but then again it could just be a bad picture. What do you think?

The Forth amendment allows for an officer of the law to use reasonable force to subdue a suspect. So there are really two questions here. Does this picture depict what really happened? And is this a proper use of reasonable force?

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're being a ridiculous conspiracy theorist. I know this site has a pro-cop bias, but this is absurd.

"Seeing someone with something across the face, from a federal standpoint — that’s not right,”

So, it's a federal crime to have something "across the face?" I'd hate to see these cowboys on Halloween. If some ununiformed fatasses (seriously, does the ATF even have fitness requirements?) started pointing guns my way, I might run as well.

This site probably also supports using SWAT teams on petty gamblers, and then shooting said petty gamblers, and then covering it up. (google Sal Culosi). Or maybe this story is some big conspiracy to embarass cops too, right?

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Thanks for the comment. I just call it as I see it. The photo looks altered to me and it would be unfair to not point this out.

If you notice in my first response, I was upset when I first looked at the photo. But I am also familar how a photo can be easily altered, and that leg is a dead giveway. When I enlarged the photo, I noticed unnatural borders around the pants, a definite indication of a cut and paste job.

This photo could have been altered, before the newspaper ever got a hold of it, but I do believe it was altered, and poorly done at that.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Kathleen Ruark. I am the one who took the above picture on my cell phone. I can assure you that I did not alter the picture in any way and that the agents really were treating Jeremiah very roughly, despite the fact that we were pleading with them to stop and telling them what the truth to the situation was.

And to the person who alerted me to this post...Thanks, but I have no plans to sue. I just wanted to set the record straight.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Daniel Markham said...

Wow Bob. You sure got a lot of response out of this post!

I can see both sides of the story. I am very worried about the police becoming more like a domestic military, and I am worried about kids with Ninja fantasies being treated like terrorists. It ain't right.

Having said that, I can respect the police officer's jobs. They had to make the decision what to do. And it's not like the kid died or anything -- he was just inconvenienced. Life's tough, kid! Learn to buck up.

As a side note, it's good to see some batBack votes coming in on this! Remember folks, there's more than one way to express your opinion. I personally like the negative votes more than the positive ones (who wants happy talk all the time?)

Your votes are anonymous, although I have to look at the logs to make sure the program is working correctly. I would ask you to use a legitimate email address and only vote one time. If you would like to update your email address, let me know at Administrator@batBack.net

If you don't use a legit email address or website, I reserve the right to delete all of your votes (along with your user id).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home