Technorati search

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Question of the Week Summary: Breastfeeding in Public

Sorry this is a bit late. I meant to post a summary on Friday and this totally slipped my mind. Guess it's cause it is a new feature...certainly it is not because I am getting older and feeble-minded;)

Here are the comments from last week's question: How do you feel about Breastfeeding in public.

Jeff said...
I see nothing wrong with feeding your child. Anyone who finds this sexual or dirty, or immoral in the slightest way is sick and needs to consult professonal help. Our country is really sad in certain areas and this is one of them. We sexualize, or attempt to attach a "moral" stigma to every single natural bodily function.

Grow up people, this is not the Dark Ages, and despite Monty Pythons assertions to the contrary, there are no personnel from the Spanish Inquistion waiting in the shadows.

Medical science has shown time and time again that breastfeeding is imminently better for your child, so if you are weirded out by it, or think it is immoral, you need to look at your own shortcmings and seek help.

For more information on the natural practice of breastfeeding in general check out The La Lecha League

Acerbically yours,

Jeff

2:48 PM
D L Ennis said...
I concur with all the above!
DL

3:12 PM
Anonymous said...
Yes I would love to.

4:27 PM
C.T. said...
I think that as long as the woman is not exposing herself, breastfeeding should be accepted as normative in just about every public setting

7:41 PM
Anonymous said...
"Thank you for calling Citizens Against Breast-Feeding, a grassroots organization that persuades women to abolish this incestuous act of immoral perversion. We are privately financed and therefore not seeking donations. However, you may wish to apply for a position with one of our field offices in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles, now hiring. If so please leave your name, address and phone number after the beep."

– Actual recorded phone message

9:44 AM
Dot in Wyoming said...
I breastfed my kids and if anyone had a problem with it, it was THEIR problem, NOT mine! It is and always has been the best method for feeding infants. And, I gotta tell ya, a hungry infant isn't going to wait patiently for everyone's moral issues to settle so he or she can eat. AND, it's NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF!!!!

1:45 PM
Steve said...
Actually, one can breast feed and maintain one's modesty, so there should be no problem. My wife, another good friend, and a few acquaintances have utilized a simple little garment, much like a large bib, with a loosely woven, breatheable fabric that is still largely opaque. This covers the breast and the baby. If anyone sees anything that offends them while a woman is wearing one of these, it is because they are trying way too hard.
Breast feeding is natural,healthy, and wholesome.

Only two links were idenified in the comments on the question on breast feeding, anyone who leaves a link in future comments a track back link will be given.

I expected to hear more controversy on this subject, and was pleasantly surprised to find that most people are okay with public breastfeeding. Though I did find it a bit disconcerting that some felt they had to belittle anyone who might have a problem with it and wondered if that kept people who were opposed to breastfeeding in public from speaking up. I mean, if I knew that people would think I was a sex-crazed moron, I would probably stay quiet too.

My opinion on the matter is that I think it is great we have gone back to breastfeeding, obviously mammals were given this ability for a reason. I do admit to being uncomfortable with some women who openly bare all regardless of who is in the room (like boys who are at the age where they are interested in anatomy). I was unable to breastfeed, probably due to medication I was on to control my blood pressure during my first pregnancy, but then my milk didn't come in the second time around either, even without the meds, so I am thinking that my body just wasn't designed that way. I missed out on the experience which I wanted to have, but we all survived it okay. I applaud the people who can and who want to and the fact that all of us have a choice in the matter.

So, thanks for chiming in and I am looking forward to reading your opinions on the next question of the week:)

2 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Grafted Branch said...

I love breastfeeding! I don't flinch when a friend latches her baby on in front of me, but there is a time and place for everything. And not everywhere is the time and place for this controversial subject.

Let's accommodate eachother the best we can, shall we? Society in general would be better off if EVERYBODY would just stop spending so much energy thrusting their own agendas onto one another. Personal sacrifice for the cause of common courtesy is a virtue to be treasured.

Respectfully submitted,
Grafted Branch

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Now on a less serious note here is a little video that will give you a totally different prespective on the debate of breastfeeding

 

Post a Comment

<< Home