Technorati search

Friday, February 03, 2006

Males: The Weaker Sex

...genetically speaking of course;) I have heard before that male fetuses have a harder time surviving until birth. Today I read of a study that shows that times of stress (economic, social, psychological) can lead to more males not surviving to be born.

The possible conclusion is that due to the difficult times, only the strongest survive because the weakest would not be able to cope. They have found this to be true for animals in the wild as well as humans. And the ones who do survive have been found to live longer and be healthier (hence the supposition that the strongest males survive).

When I was pregnant with my son, we were going through an incredibly stressful period, economically. I ended up spending the last two months of my pregnancy on bedrest due to high blood pressure and had to have an emergency c-section due to preeclampsia. I am glad to know it is a good chance that Jack will live a long and healthy life after surviving the difficult pregnancy.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger B O B said...

Hi Melissa I bow to the superior sex. At birth I had a 50 50 chance for survial. Well thats what they told my parents actually they had no idea. I was the forth person that had a blood transfusion because of RH incompatiblites. The discovery of RH was also the year that I was born. They were in an uncharted sea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home