Technorati search

Monday, February 27, 2006

Islam: Empire of Faith

I like to learn and with Muslims and Islam so much in the news in recent years, I want to know more about this religion. When I was at the library last week I saw a PBS DVD called Islam: Empire of Faith that I could borrow.

I watched it this morning and I highly recommend it to anyone who knows little to nothing about Islam or to anyone who thinks they know Islam but haven't really researched it, and are just going by what they hear in the news or from other people.

A description: Between the fall of Rome and the European voyages of discovery, few events were more significant than the rise of Islam. Within a few centuries, the Islamic empires blossomed, projecting their power from Africa to the East Indies, and from Spain to India. Inspired by the words of the Prophet Muhammed, and led by caliphs and sultans, this political and religious expansion remains unequaled in speed, geographic speed and endurance. Increasingly, scholars and historians are recognizing the profound impact that Islamic civilization has had on Western culture and the course of world history.

1 Comments:

At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

http://muttaqun.com/quran/e/index.html

You will have to copy and paste into your browser, but this is an online version of the Quran. makes for good reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home