Technorati search

Monday, April 10, 2006

Question of the Week: What does Easter mean to you and your family?

Easter Sunday is upon us once again. The stores are decorated with isles of pastel- colored plastic eggs, candies, stuffed animals, adorable dresses and suits,and festive lawn decorations just to name a few. You can hardly visit your local department stores without running into a bunny in just about every corner. Yes it is festive and quite cute, but I believe that something very vital is missing.

As the parents of three small children my husband and I believe that Resurrection Sunday is a time to celebrate our faith in Christ and to share the reason for our hope. Throughout the year we seek to impart our faith to our children, and Easter is no exception. We share with them the true meaning of Resurrection Sunday and it's significance so that their focus is on Christ first, and not the bunny. We spend time reading passages of scripture, doing crafts, watching relevant programs, preparing a special meal and reading books that are consistent with our beliefs.

So for those who celebrate Easter or Resurrection Sunday, do you seek to make Christ the center of this holiday? What special traditions do you have that you involve your children in?

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

We are Orthodox Christians, so we celebrate Pascha. It is sometimes on the same date as Western Easter, but this year it's a week later. So while you guys are done celebrating that particular holiday, and the stores are putting away their bunny decorations, we are heading down the home stretch! We have a last week before Pascha called Holy Week. It is somewhat similar to Roman Catholics celebration I suppose. While Orthodox fast physically and spiritually in the many days before Pascha, we look towards our own behaviors and thoughts and lives. A cleaning out period, in a way. There are many services during Holy Week.
Then, in the night before Resurrection morning, we have a midnight candlelit service. It's a very intense rememberance of the Resurrection. We greet one another with the words "Christ is Risen!" and the person responds "He is risen indeed!" Here in the burg, it's said in Greek.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Thanks for sharing Rebecca!

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous AS said...

So... here is where things get really funky in my life :-)

I am from Brazil, grew up as a pseudo-catholic... that to me basically means... you say you are catholic, you go to a catholic school, and you don't know and don't really care about anything related to christianity. A lot of my family was (or is) like that too...

So Easter, growing up, was basically egg-hunt, let's eat chocolate and go to my grandparent's house day.

Once I "became" a "born again" Christian, I started to see Easter, at least intellectually, as the most important holiday in the Christian calendar... but because of the effect of Christ in me, I can say [hopefully without sounding like a upright snob] that Easter... Christ's ressurection is on my mind every day...

It was on Easter, that becoming a follower of Christ [aka Christianity] became the most unique religion in the world. The day it things were "finished."

Because of this day, that I think about every day about what He has done for me and everyone else who is willing to embrace Him...

In a weird way, Easter still is chocolate eating day [with a special service in the Church].

Hopefully that made sense :-)

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger thebluestbutterfly said...

The honest answer is that I need to talk about it more. That I need to openly be thankful on this day.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Melissa O. Markham said...

Growing up, Easter was the day of the bunny. My parents stopped going to church around the time I was 7 or 8 due to my dad becoming frustrated with church politics and hypocrisy. I went on my own with neighbors off and on and I remember Easter being the day of the big basket of goodies, new clothes and a special meal.

Only in the last couple of years have I focused more on Easter for the amazing day it is. I mean without it, there would be no Christianity. So we participate in the church Easter Egg hunt and we have Easter baskets, but we are also watching a DVD collection of the Passion of Christ. I have the movie The Passion which I watched last year. We talk about the meaning of Easter and why it is so important.

Like AS said, thinking about Jesus' sacrifice is a year around thing and I contemplate it often.

Great question, btw!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Thank you all for sharing so candidly.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home