Technorati search

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lynchburg's Fast Food Fascination

When you're best home cooking is from a fine dining restaurant and your best fried chicken is from a gas station, either your town is a little bit confused or it just lacks quality restaurants.

Last Sunday the News and Advance published its Readers' Choice awards - the best of 2006. The people casted the ballots and the News and Advance printed the results and quite frankly, I'm amused at Lynchburg's fast food fascination.

I've been told that biscuitville truly lives up to its namesake, but three fast food places with the three best biscuits? Are there no diners that fix biscuits in Lynchburg? I didn't even know that McDonald's are biscuit extraordinaires. I suppose I've been missing out.

Neither did I know that Quik-E-Foods made doughnuts. I'm sure they're a lot fresher there than say...a real bakery. It must be that doughnuts go so well with fried chicken.

Apparently, McDonald's (yes, THAT McDonald's, the number one beef purchaser and number two chicken purchaser in the U.S.) has the best fries. I thought for a moment I had dyslexia and read it backwards because the two fry makers that finished second and third are The Cavalier and Five Guys, neither of which are fast food and both which serve real potatoes.

Apparently, Wendy's has the best chili, finger or no finger, and Chick-Fil-A has noteworthy breakfasts, tasty enough to place it in a three way tie for third place with Country Kitchen and Famous Anthony's. At least Country Kitchen has brains and eggs and good southern hospitality.

Is lynchburg really lacking quality food establishments, or do people just not know where to go to get a good meal? Is the standard put forth by McDonald's and Quick-E-Foods gas station really that superior to the competition, or are people just conditioned to think in terms of fast food?

I suppose I should count my blessings. Next time I take a road trip and my gas is getting low and my car is getting dirty and I have that hankering for fried chicken and doughnuts, I know exactly where to go.

4 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Blogger Renee said...

It is all in the mind's eye of the survey taker. What I have noticed is that the winners of these type of surveys usually don't show which establishment has the best "fill in the blank", but what the income level is for the majority of the people that participated in the survey. If you want to get a true "taste" of the local food scene, they should have a "blind" taste test (no charge) of all the restaurants that want to participate.

What establishments would you have liked to see win, C.T?

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger C.T. said...

Renee, I think you're probably right about the accuracy of the survey. It'll reveal, more than anything, where people tend to eat as opposed to what they actually like the best, and this can be reflective of what people can actually afford.

As for me, I haven't been in the area long enough to sample everything available, especially a lot of the good stuff, but I definitely think good breakfasts are hard to come by. I like BBQ, and the BBQ places I've tried like schmokies and Daddy Bims (both award winners) are overrated. Neighbors place has good BBQ. I'm partial to Five Guys for burgers and fries, although I've heard The Cav is even better.

Mainly, I just wanted to point out the absurdity that fast food and convenience stores can have better food than a real restaurant. Even a chain restaurant has better fries than mcDonald's for example. And I know people must be eating at these restaurants, becasue Wards Road is packed out every weekend.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger wolfbane240 said...

The reason Wards Road is so packed is because most of the resturants on the strip have bars. That is what really counts in this town, sad to say. Dinning and drinking are forced to go hand and hand and the food comes in second. IMHOFYI

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Bill Arnold said...

I was writing a post about my favorite appetizers at restaurants and I came upon your blog. If you haven't had the Cavalier fries you've got to give them a try. My wife and I live in California now, but we still talk about those fries (or rather, I bring them up!). McDonald's? That's a ludicrous comparison!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home